Skip to main content

No Sleep...

I periodically do this thing where I decide that it's just not worth it to go to bed.  It's a bad habit, and I'm perpetuating that bad habit once again tonight.  I'm no longer in school.  The need for all-nighters has passed, and yet I still pull them, and mostly because of OCD.

This is how I ended up making the decision tonight:  I have an appointment at 8am.  Before I go to that appointment I'd like to shower, which means that, even though I have gotten my shower time down to under 30 minutes, I should probably be sure to be up and about by about 5:30 to make time for all the other OCD shenanigans that usually end up taking place before/after my shower and while I get ready.  That way I can be ready to leave by about 7:00/7:15 for my 8am appointment.  Woo.

Still not really a reason to stay up all night, right?  Well, there's more.  I woke up late today and had to head out to my office session without showering, which is something I like to before leaving the house for any reason.  This means that once I got back, I had no time limit, no hour that I had to shower by, because I didn't have to be anywhere.  And because I have grown to dislike showering so strongly, I just put it off and put it off and put it off, along with all the other activities that I felt like I couldn't tackle til after showering.  So as it gets later and later, the idea of having to shower, go to bed, and immediately shower again just seems pointless and daunting.  OCD says I can't sleep in my bed unless I shower; it also says that I should shower before my morning appointment.  And I don't want to take a second shower in the morning for virtually no reason other than OCD.  So I decide not to sleep.  Because I can't lie down in my bed until I have showered, but having to shower now and then again in a few hours seems like more than I can bear.

Oh, and I forgot to mention - in order to really actually sleep,  I have to take my Seroquel.  But it's hard for me to wake up in the morning if I do take it, especially if I have to get up really early.  So taking the Seroquel seems ill-advised if I want to make it to my appointment on time in the morning AND get ready beforehand.  So even if I could lay down in my bed, I probably wouldn't be able to fall asleep...

So here I am, writing about my OCD-induced all-nighter, while kind of wishing I could just lay down to relax my muscles and rest, even if I can't sleep.

I know that I will probably regret this tomorrow.  I will be tired and when I am tired my OCD gets worse.  I am at my best when I have a fairly normal schedule and go to bed and get up in the morning at a decent hour.  It's when I let things get all out of order like this that things get harder to manage.  Day and night begin to blend together, and I begin to use compulsive activity as some sort of artificial and unhelpful substitute for the structure that I'm missing.  

So here's a goal for this next week:  I will try harder to maintain a more normal schedule each day so that I don't end up in situations like the one I am in now.  When tempted to procrastinate showering, going to bed, or getting up the morning, I will try to remember what happens when I do this - a downward spiral of compulsivity and disrupted scheduling...

Comments

  1. There is NO WAY I could regularily go all night without sleep. I guess this is another form of avoidance hey? Damn OCD - we have to be so regimented and clever in order to fight this disorder. I get frustrated with that. I mean EVERYONE avoids things sometimes. I wish I could have that leeway.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, sleep is one of my favorite parts of the day (and yes, serequel gives me wonderful help in prolonging the sleep). I agree Serequel makes it hard to wake up. Like shower-really-fast-and-still-be-almost-or-slightly-late-for-work hard to wake up. But my OCD wouldn't like me to miss a dose of medication (or something terrible might happen - what, I don't know) and I only shower every other day (because I procrastinate showers. My bed is not considered germ free, so I can still sleep by my OCD's rules for today). It's funny how many different rules OCD gives to so many people. Good luck with more sleep and un-delayed showers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am up at 5 a.m. in the morning desperate to sleep but sleep will not come to me. By the way, can you sleep on the couch and then wipe it with clorox? It's one option. I so want a cure.

    ReplyDelete
  4. OCD why do you ruin my life,
    controling me like crazy dyke,
    because of you i get no sleep,
    damn where are those fukcin sheep,

    but seriuosly i wish i didnt have OCD 0_0

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Spreading the Word: OCD on the Air

I'm an avid listener of NPR and always enjoy their various shows and podcasts, and I was recently delighted when I stumbled upon not one, but two, radio segments dedicated to OCD - both what it is and how it is treated.  I have heard so many stories like my own, but I am still drawn to new accounts of others who have suffered.  Likewise, I appreciate it when professional reporters and story-tellers so aptly paint the picture of what it's like to experience OCD for the general public.  Because, while I live in a world where others know what OCD is, where others believe that most thoughts are just thoughts and have no hidden meaning about who or what we are, so many out there, including some therapists, still respond to OCD-type thoughts as meaningful in their own right and as potentially dangerous or harmful.  That mindset can be so heart-breakingly bewildering and detrimental to someone suffering from OCD.  I know it was for me.  The more awareness ca...

Phone Jitters

Though I probably don't have enough of it to warrant a label, I think I do have some social anxiety.  It's gotten a lot better over the years - when I was a kid it was really so much worse.  Back then, I was often labeled "shy" or "quiet" and hated it because every time someone used one of those adjectives to describe me, it just seemed that much harder to overcome my difficulty of speaking up.  Those jolts of anxiety I got from voicing my opinion were intensified when I discovered that, despite my desire to be talkative and efforts to be outgoing, I was still perceived as being "quiet."   I had a hard time as it was being more vocal when not at ease, but when someone commented on how I was "shy," the self-consciousness would flare up even more, creating an even bigger hurdle to overcome when I wanted to express myself. Like I said, it's a lot better now.  I think through accidental exposure and repeated confrontation of social situ...

A Return

It's been A LONG time.  In fact, so long that I'm just relieved to see that so many of the wonderful bloggers that were out there before are still around.  I'm grateful to be able to come back to this world and know that it is still here. My life has drifted away from focusing so much on my OCD (which is good) but I have also drifted away from actively fighting it on a daily basis (which is not so good).  In fact, I've found it's easy to forget how much I'm letting things slip when I am not checking in with a therapist as frequently and when my life is so full of other things.  I've been working up a storm, but in-between, when I'm at home and on the weekends, the problems persist.  I've just gotten really good at working around them.  I want to return to this world, though, and to keep fighting and sharing my stories along the way.  This place has been an invaluable outlet in the past - a forum to relate, share, learn, and feel "normal" ...