Skip to main content

Spreading the Word: OCD on the Air


I'm an avid listener of NPR and always enjoy their various shows and podcasts, and I was recently delighted when I stumbled upon not one, but two, radio segments dedicated to OCD - both what it is and how it is treated.  I have heard so many stories like my own, but I am still drawn to new accounts of others who have suffered.  Likewise, I appreciate it when professional reporters and story-tellers so aptly paint the picture of what it's like to experience OCD for the general public.  Because, while I live in a world where others know what OCD is, where others believe that most thoughts are just thoughts and have no hidden meaning about who or what we are, so many out there, including some therapists, still respond to OCD-type thoughts as meaningful in their own right and as potentially dangerous or harmful.  That mindset can be so heart-breakingly bewildering and detrimental to someone suffering from OCD.  I know it was for me.  The more awareness can be raised by stories like those I'll mention below, the better.  When we have treatments (like CBT, exposure and response prevention, and mindfulness) that can be immensely helpful to so many with this disorder, it seems such a shame that many don't get treatment sooner or don't find effective treatment until many months or years after their suffering begins.

That said, here are two podcasts that I thoroughly enjoyed:


I was already really looking forward to NPR's new show Invisibila and was immediately won over when Part 1 of the very first episode was dedicated to exploring the range of weird and secret thoughts people have and how those thoughts affect people with OCD.  Alix Spiegel and Lulu Miller, co-hosts of this new radio endeavor, do a lovely job leading into the story of one man who suffered from obsessional thoughts of harming others (aka "Harm OCD").  Not only do they capture his struggle and recovery in a very identifiable way, they also provide a great summary of some of the most common treatment modalities used by therapists today (as well as how some might work better than others in treating OCD).  I don't want to give too much away, but I, like the man described, initially found a therapist that too readily bought into the content of my thoughts, which only made my OCD worse.  This is one of the reasons I think it's so important to raise awareness about what OCD is and what treatments are considered most effective (again, CBT with exposure and response prevention and mindfulness). 


This second segment I actually just happened upon while listening to the radio one evening after work.  I tuned in mid-story, right as they were talking about having "weird" thoughts like the urge to throw oneself off the platform just as a speeding train approaches.  Intrigued, I went online to listen to the whole thing, and again I found myself excited to hear a compelling radio portrayal of what it's like to have OCD, this time as part of an episode of Fresh Air with Terry Gross.

While this episode does not go too thoroughly into the treatment side of things, I think it does a wonderful job demonstrating how "normal" people with OCD can be, all while struggling with a serious disorder.  In particular, I love the way it captures the paradox of being an very intelligent, rational individual while also grappling with, and often buying into, truly irrational thoughts.  As the man in this story describes, people with OCD can often recognize that their thoughts make no sense, and yet they still feel compelled to defend themselves against such obsessions by carrying out what are often equally irrational compulsions.  When I was at my worst and was truly suffering, part of me could recognize that my obsessions and (especially) my compulsions bordered on the absurd, and yet it was so difficult to resist them.  I think it just goes to show how strange our minds really are, as well as how important it is not to overlook the suffering of seeming "normal" individuals just because they do seem so, well, normal.  They, too, can suffer silently from serious psychological disorders.

I thoroughly enjoyed both of the above segments and hope to hear more like these in the future.  There are so many myths and misunderstood conceptions of what OCD is, and shows like this help capture the experience of OCD in an accessible way while also spreading the word about how it is treated.

Comments

  1. Thank you so much for your post. I struggle with OCD as well. I can identify with you in many ways. I found this post extremely helpful. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope - thank you for your kind words. I always appreciate the chance to connect with someone else who has OCD. I wish you the best and hope that you are able to enjoy your life despite OCD.

      Delete
  2. Thank you for pointing these out ~ I will go look for them. Recently I started watching the X Files on Netflix, not having seen it when it first was on the air. There was an episode where digital readouts would flash a person's worst phobia. It seemed like a metaphor for intrusive thoughts, and how they can appear suddenly, and the fear that they "mean something."

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

New Variations on an Old Theme

It's been a long while since I have posted here. Years, in fact. This is typically where I turn when I am thinking a lot about my OCD and want an outlet for expressing my thoughts on my experience with the disorder. The current demands on my time make it a bit tricky to find much space for myself, much less to write about OCD, so even when I have found myself yearning to write, like now, I often turn to other tasks that seem more pressing. However, circumstances have brought OCD back into my life in a very real way, and I thought that posting some of my thoughts and experiences here, when I do make the time, might be helpful. I have a fascination with this disorder, both as someone who has suffered with it since childhood and as someone interested in it from an academic perspective. So, when increased stress and a lot of major life changes brought OCD back into my life in full force, I experienced that process with both horror and fascination. I have been amazed at how OCD can hi

Interesting OCD (and Related) News

So, I've been meaning to do this for a while, but never managed to actually put it together.  Just like I enjoy reading others' blogs and learning about their experiences with OCD, I am also somewhat addicted to learning as much as I can about the disorder in general - I love reading about some of the latest news and findings on OCD, and have also read several books on the disorder and related topics. In college, I studied neuroscience, and though in the short time since I graduated I have forgotten much of what I learned, I am still fascinated by the brain and its functioning - both on the biological level, as well as on the more behavioral side of things.  Add OCD to the mix, and I get abnormally excited when reading about some of the latest research and clinical studies on the disorder.  Of course, I like reading about OCD because it has a strong element of personal significance, but when I find that things I learned in school help me understand what we do know about the b

"Post"-OCD Life

The title of this post, I am well aware, is very much a misnomer.  OCD is still a living, breathing part of my daily existence, and always will be, to a certain degree.  However, I'm starting to feel as though I've entered a new stage in my recovery, one where I have to figure out that troubling and very confusing question:  what now? For a solid three years my goal was to tackle my OCD.  Year one started with my life falling apart shortly after I graduated from college.  School had always been my life and provided a certain amount of structure and sense of purpose.  As I started my first year of work post-college the following fall, everything seemed to fall apart as one compulsion lead to another until I was having a hard time making it through just a single day at work.  This was followed by the search for help.  I was lucky in that I relatively quickly stumbled upon the name for my disorder and found an excellent treatment provider, one who was ready to help me fight b