Skip to main content

New Variations on an Old Theme

It's been a long while since I have posted here. Years, in fact. This is typically where I turn when I am thinking a lot about my OCD and want an outlet for expressing my thoughts on my experience with the disorder. The current demands on my time make it a bit tricky to find much space for myself, much less to write about OCD, so even when I have found myself yearning to write, like now, I often turn to other tasks that seem more pressing.

However, circumstances have brought OCD back into my life in a very real way, and I thought that posting some of my thoughts and experiences here, when I do make the time, might be helpful. I have a fascination with this disorder, both as someone who has suffered with it since childhood and as someone interested in it from an academic perspective. So, when increased stress and a lot of major life changes brought OCD back into my life in full force, I experienced that process with both horror and fascination. I have been amazed at how OCD can hijack my rational self and goad me into engaging in compulsive behaviors that I know, full well, only bring me deeper into the disorder. Part of me is in it, actively trying to fight my urge to give in and struggling against those urges, and part of me is like an outside observer, amazed at how someone so well versed in OCD and the consequences of ritualizing will, in fact, give in.

One of my biggest battles in the years prior has been with contamination OCD. This is not to say that OCD has not entangled itself in a number of areas in my life, but if we are considering some of the classic broad categories of OCD symptom types, this was one of the most clear cut categories I fell into. Through lots of hard work and continued day to day exposure (and of course, response prevention), I beat back quite a bit of my OCD in that realm. There was certainly still work to do, and areas in my life where I had not quite mastered my contamination OCD, but I was at a point where I felt pretty confident in my ability to carry out exposures for my contamination fears when and where I needed to.

Since then, however, a lot of major life changes have occurred. I moved across the country. I followed my dream of returning to the academic realm to study something I have long been passionate about. These are all good things, but hard things, too. And as we know, stress, regardless of whether its source is positive or negative, can often bring OCD to the forefront. This has been very true for me.

It started little by little. I gave myself permission to do one compulsion I had long since sworn off. And then another. And another. Pretty soon, those compulsions I was going to do just "this one time," became the new rule, the new way I "had" to do things, rather than the exception.

I put the word had in quotes here because OCD often tricks us into thinking we need to do something, either overtly or mentally, to reduce our anxiety/distress/discomfort (however you want to say it), when really, if we were to sit with that distress, it would likely come down on its own (or we would at least have the opportunity see that we could tolerate that distress without having to turn to rituals that only make life more challenging and constricted).

While the contamination rituals have made life quite complicated, perhaps more confusing are my compulsions in the academic realm. When I first realized that I had OCD back in 2009, I was, again, largely focused on my contamination symptoms. However, I very much believe that OCD has also long had a hold on how I approach academic work. Being out of school at the time I was diagnosed, I never really had to face the fact that OCD was very much intertwined with my approach to school work. I wasn't forced fight it in that realm. Now that I am back in the academic world, however, I have become more acutely aware of this as I fall behind on work and struggle to keep up with a demanding program (while also battling a myriad of time-consuming contamination rituals, too).

Still, I have no doubt that I can fight OCD back in this area, as well. For someone with a disorder so well known for enveloping its sufferers in doubt, I am strangely confident that I will overcome the academic manifestation of my symptoms, too. This doesn't necessarily play out day-to-day--some days I feel quite defeated and question my ability to change what I really need to change. But I am passionate in my belief that, with proper psychoeducation, tools, and support, OCD can be overcome and managed long-term.

So, despite OCD's current hold on me, I believe this for myself, too. It takes time, and hard work, but I know it can be done.


Comments

  1. I was revisiting my blog after awhile away, and saw your post. I hope you are finding ways to navigate through! I found it interesting what you said about academic life and discovering the obsessions. I finished school before getting ERP treatment, but looking back, I see my tendency to compulsive research was affirmed by the culture of academia, but bad for my peace of mind!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Spreading the Word: OCD on the Air

I'm an avid listener of NPR and always enjoy their various shows and podcasts, and I was recently delighted when I stumbled upon not one, but two, radio segments dedicated to OCD - both what it is and how it is treated.  I have heard so many stories like my own, but I am still drawn to new accounts of others who have suffered.  Likewise, I appreciate it when professional reporters and story-tellers so aptly paint the picture of what it's like to experience OCD for the general public.  Because, while I live in a world where others know what OCD is, where others believe that most thoughts are just thoughts and have no hidden meaning about who or what we are, so many out there, including some therapists, still respond to OCD-type thoughts as meaningful in their own right and as potentially dangerous or harmful.  That mindset can be so heart-breakingly bewildering and detrimental to someone suffering from OCD.  I know it was for me.  The more awareness ca...

Phone Jitters

Though I probably don't have enough of it to warrant a label, I think I do have some social anxiety.  It's gotten a lot better over the years - when I was a kid it was really so much worse.  Back then, I was often labeled "shy" or "quiet" and hated it because every time someone used one of those adjectives to describe me, it just seemed that much harder to overcome my difficulty of speaking up.  Those jolts of anxiety I got from voicing my opinion were intensified when I discovered that, despite my desire to be talkative and efforts to be outgoing, I was still perceived as being "quiet."   I had a hard time as it was being more vocal when not at ease, but when someone commented on how I was "shy," the self-consciousness would flare up even more, creating an even bigger hurdle to overcome when I wanted to express myself. Like I said, it's a lot better now.  I think through accidental exposure and repeated confrontation of social situ...

A Return

It's been A LONG time.  In fact, so long that I'm just relieved to see that so many of the wonderful bloggers that were out there before are still around.  I'm grateful to be able to come back to this world and know that it is still here. My life has drifted away from focusing so much on my OCD (which is good) but I have also drifted away from actively fighting it on a daily basis (which is not so good).  In fact, I've found it's easy to forget how much I'm letting things slip when I am not checking in with a therapist as frequently and when my life is so full of other things.  I've been working up a storm, but in-between, when I'm at home and on the weekends, the problems persist.  I've just gotten really good at working around them.  I want to return to this world, though, and to keep fighting and sharing my stories along the way.  This place has been an invaluable outlet in the past - a forum to relate, share, learn, and feel "normal" ...