Skip to main content

That Lost Feeling

Sometimes when I come home from a vacation (or sometimes when I start one) I find myself floundering to adjust to the changes around me.  I like vacations.  I also like coming home and getting back to my independent lifestyle - my schedule, my routine - especially after spending a significant amount time with my family.  But sometimes abruptly returning to my usual world leaves me feeling off balance and unsure how to proceed.  Basically, I feel lost.

Being with my family, and only my family, is like existing in another universe.  When I am initially catapulted back into that environment, it's strange.  On the outside, I go on as usual.  I talk, I laugh, I smile and comment.  But part of me is somewhere else.  That part of me is distinctly aware of the sharp change in my surroundings, and I feel like I have to re-learn how to exist in that space.  Meanwhile, I keep a protective barrier around me, a bubble of reminders of "who I am."  The me I present to my family doesn't feel like the whole me.  I am toned down.  I adjust myself to fit their rhythm, but I am acutely aware of the difference between "normal me" and the "me" I display to them.

But then something funny happens:  as the days go by and I spend more and more time with my family, and only my family, I notice the differences between the two worlds less and less.  I adjust to their ebb and flow, and with time, I become integrated into to it - I once again feel synchronized with my family's dynamics.

It's as if I am normally racing down a river, moving at my own pace, weaving back and forth freely as I see fit.  Then I come upon my family, also paddling down the river, and I slow down and steer straight to fit within their formation.  At first, I am constantly aware of the changes I must make to match their pace, but then, with time, I adjust.  I get used to moving within their world again.  But then there is a fork in the waters, and I go my way while they go theirs.

I am again free to move about as I please.  But now it feels foreign.  And the rocks and trees that obstruct my path seem to leap out of nowhere.  I feel as though I have forgotten how to weave myself comfortably into my normal life, just as I initially felt uncomfortable adjusting to my family's pace.  I want to be the "normal me" again but feel as though I have grown rusty.  I didn't mind if being with my family didn't immediately feel natural.  But if I don't immediately feel comfortable in my home environment, in being the "normal" me, I become upset.  I fear that I have forgotten how to be myself, the "me" I prefer to be.  I fear that I have grown vulnerable and soft.

But perhaps OCD is at play here.  Just as the more I wash, the less confident I feel in my cleanliness, the more I fight to regain my "normal" demeanor, the more disoriented I feel.  If I could just let myself relax, muscle memory would take over, allowing to move smoothly around the obstacles and at the pace of my usual life.

It's the same OCD trick, my own personal Chinese finger trap of the mind.  The more desperately I try to make things "right," the more "off" they end up seeming and the more important the fact that I feel "off" seems to become.  If I could just stop struggling, stop trying so hard to fix things, they would likely fix themselves on their own.

Just being able to recognize this - that fighting to rid myself of this or any other feeling only digs me that much deeper - is helpful.  It saves me from the mental turmoil of trying to make things feel the "right" way, and it allows me to actually feel "right" far sooner. I have to trust that I will again grow accustomed to the freedom (and obstacles) of my usual life, and that I will fall back into the rhythm I am accustomed to.

...and if I don't, well, I can deal with that when and if it occurs.  OCD all too often demands a solution now for a problem that may or may not actually arise.  Accepting this uncertainty and dealing with the consequences when and if they do occur, however, seems to be the ticket to freedom.  And that's the hard part - riding out the discomfort without compulsively trying to eliminate or reduce it.  I may not yet be willing to apply this wholeheartedly to my washing rituals, but I can try to put this concept into practice in other areas of my life.  Even if I am not necessarily fighting the main battle, I think that by using all that I have learned about fighting my OCD when and where it helps makes me that much  better prepared to fight my all-too-common enemy at its most challenging points.

And, in the meantime, it simply makes my everyday life that much better.  Which is definitely worth it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Spreading the Word: OCD on the Air

I'm an avid listener of NPR and always enjoy their various shows and podcasts, and I was recently delighted when I stumbled upon not one, but two, radio segments dedicated to OCD - both what it is and how it is treated.  I have heard so many stories like my own, but I am still drawn to new accounts of others who have suffered.  Likewise, I appreciate it when professional reporters and story-tellers so aptly paint the picture of what it's like to experience OCD for the general public.  Because, while I live in a world where others know what OCD is, where others believe that most thoughts are just thoughts and have no hidden meaning about who or what we are, so many out there, including some therapists, still respond to OCD-type thoughts as meaningful in their own right and as potentially dangerous or harmful.  That mindset can be so heart-breakingly bewildering and detrimental to someone suffering from OCD.  I know it was for me.  The more awareness ca...

Phone Jitters

Though I probably don't have enough of it to warrant a label, I think I do have some social anxiety.  It's gotten a lot better over the years - when I was a kid it was really so much worse.  Back then, I was often labeled "shy" or "quiet" and hated it because every time someone used one of those adjectives to describe me, it just seemed that much harder to overcome my difficulty of speaking up.  Those jolts of anxiety I got from voicing my opinion were intensified when I discovered that, despite my desire to be talkative and efforts to be outgoing, I was still perceived as being "quiet."   I had a hard time as it was being more vocal when not at ease, but when someone commented on how I was "shy," the self-consciousness would flare up even more, creating an even bigger hurdle to overcome when I wanted to express myself. Like I said, it's a lot better now.  I think through accidental exposure and repeated confrontation of social situ...

A Return

It's been A LONG time.  In fact, so long that I'm just relieved to see that so many of the wonderful bloggers that were out there before are still around.  I'm grateful to be able to come back to this world and know that it is still here. My life has drifted away from focusing so much on my OCD (which is good) but I have also drifted away from actively fighting it on a daily basis (which is not so good).  In fact, I've found it's easy to forget how much I'm letting things slip when I am not checking in with a therapist as frequently and when my life is so full of other things.  I've been working up a storm, but in-between, when I'm at home and on the weekends, the problems persist.  I've just gotten really good at working around them.  I want to return to this world, though, and to keep fighting and sharing my stories along the way.  This place has been an invaluable outlet in the past - a forum to relate, share, learn, and feel "normal" ...