Skip to main content

emptiness

This is the part of getting better that I hate.  When you start to see a noticeable difference, an improvement, and you hate yourself for it.  You hate yourself for letting it go all too easily.  Right now I am continuing to struggle with this.  I am noticing that the need to keep everything perfectly in line with my rules is getting looser.  I don't seem to care as much about them.  And I don't seem to care as much about the fact that I don't care as much!  Ahh!  I feel like I am losing the ability to make myself do things.  And I want it back.  Sure adhering to my completely arbitrary rules makes me dysfunctional.  It's not a self-sufficient way of life, but I start to long for the perfection again, and already it seems unattainable, like I couldn't make myself adhere to the rules again even if I wanted to.

That last part is really what bothers me.  The ascetic deprivation and self-denial that living the OCD life requires is hard to will your way back to once you come out on the other side.  And for some reason I hate that.  I hate it a lot.  I want to be able to turn the will power, the ability to adhere to my old rules, on at a moment's notice.  But without the same fear there providing the motivation, it is really hard to care enough to make myself do it.  Which drives me insane!  But I suppose that's one of the sacrifices of getting better.  You can't be better, more functional, and still carry that drive to adhere to OCD rules, to perform compulsions, no matter how nonsensical.  Because that drive comes from fear and when the fear goes, so does the drive to adhere to the rules and perform the compulsions.  But it makes me feel empty.

It's kind of funny to talk about things like this, considering that, to most people and my therapists, I probably still seem very symptomatic of my disorder.  But to me the boundaries seem to be dissolving faster and faster.  And I don't know what to do.  Those boundaries felt like my scaffolding, the bones that held my body up.  And now they seem to be dissolving within me, leaving me nothing to prop myself up on.

I have imagined the wonderful life I could have, all the wonderful things I could do, if I learned to overcome my OCD and keep it in check.  But will life really be any better?  Will I be happier?  Or will I find that life without the OCD isn't that great either?  Will I discover that having to perform ritual after ritual is only replaced by the monotonous repetition of things that actually have a constructive purpose, things that actually do need to be done?  As long as I am cocooned in the world of compulsions I can at least dream of something better.  But what if it is just as hard to get by without the severe limitations of OCD, just in different ways?

It all makes me feel empty.  So I just keep chugging along, putting one foot in front of the other for the sake of moving forward, hoping that one day I will really want to constantly keeping moving along.  Anyways, I realize I don't always feel this negatively about my progress as I do at the moment, but it's another form of discomfort that comes crawling up from the OCD abyss when I am left alone to my thoughts without more pressing fears to take precedence.

Comments

  1. Fellow - I go there too - especially with "will life get any better? Will I be happier?" etc. I suspect that's just more OCD/anxiety wanting to know the outcome and save us from the discomfort of uncertainty. You definitely are going through a life-altering change....keep practicing the skillful way of getting through OCD and let us know how you feel in a week or so!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hear you, oh goodness! I thought that starting to get better would mean I could just relax all the time. But can I? No. The house still needs cleaning, even if I don't do it AS compulsively. I still go to the bathroom and have to wash my hands. I still have to do a litany of things each day to keep life running.

    But the freedom is from the mental stress. And the letting go. Thursdays are normally my cleaning day. But we were busy, and I didn't clean. No longer am I running through the list of contaminants in my bathroom sink anymore. It's okay if it waits till Tuesday. My mind is freed to listen to music and actually hear it. To enjoy sitting on the couch after a long day because I CAN and it's not because I'm running. To not have to think about what outfit to wear, to put on just whatever I feel like. Wow. There's so much freedom. Don't feel empty. Keep putting that foot one in front of the other.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The cocoon of obsessions is an apt description! I used to fear getting better because that would mean I had to go out and save the world, and be perfect. There's something important in that idea of "making yourself do things"--it's only an illusion of mastery, of will power. I made myself eat a very strict vegan sugar-free diet for almost a year, but by the end, I was serving the diet, which is not mastery but enslavement.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I totally understand this. I have struggled with this lately myself and at other times in my life too when I have tried to recover...how to fill that void that comes with giving it up.

    I try to remember that our hearts wouldn't want to give it up if we didn't know that was the better way.

    "Remember that the fear of suffering is greater than the suffering itself." - The Alchemist

    ReplyDelete
  5. I completely get this--it is something that held me back from recovering from my eating disorder, years ago. When I was using ED behaviors, and miserable, I could hope for recovery. But, I worried, "What if I recover, and I'm STILL unhappy? What do I have to hope for then?" Now, I did move past my eating disorder, and is it perfect? No. Do I still get upset and have my hard times? Yes. But is it better than it was? Oh my goodness, yes. So I think with OCD it's the same...when I'm not consumed by intrusive thoughts or lots of checking/asking for reassurance, things aren't perfect. But they ARE better than when I'm in a bad OCD place. And, that "what if?" that you're worried about--even that in and of itself is partly OCD....when I notice myself asking "what if?", that's a big red flag that OCD is lurking. Maybe it's similar for you, too? Take good care....

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Spreading the Word: OCD on the Air

I'm an avid listener of NPR and always enjoy their various shows and podcasts, and I was recently delighted when I stumbled upon not one, but two, radio segments dedicated to OCD - both what it is and how it is treated.  I have heard so many stories like my own, but I am still drawn to new accounts of others who have suffered.  Likewise, I appreciate it when professional reporters and story-tellers so aptly paint the picture of what it's like to experience OCD for the general public.  Because, while I live in a world where others know what OCD is, where others believe that most thoughts are just thoughts and have no hidden meaning about who or what we are, so many out there, including some therapists, still respond to OCD-type thoughts as meaningful in their own right and as potentially dangerous or harmful.  That mindset can be so heart-breakingly bewildering and detrimental to someone suffering from OCD.  I know it was for me.  The more awareness ca...

Phone Jitters

Though I probably don't have enough of it to warrant a label, I think I do have some social anxiety.  It's gotten a lot better over the years - when I was a kid it was really so much worse.  Back then, I was often labeled "shy" or "quiet" and hated it because every time someone used one of those adjectives to describe me, it just seemed that much harder to overcome my difficulty of speaking up.  Those jolts of anxiety I got from voicing my opinion were intensified when I discovered that, despite my desire to be talkative and efforts to be outgoing, I was still perceived as being "quiet."   I had a hard time as it was being more vocal when not at ease, but when someone commented on how I was "shy," the self-consciousness would flare up even more, creating an even bigger hurdle to overcome when I wanted to express myself. Like I said, it's a lot better now.  I think through accidental exposure and repeated confrontation of social situ...

A Return

It's been A LONG time.  In fact, so long that I'm just relieved to see that so many of the wonderful bloggers that were out there before are still around.  I'm grateful to be able to come back to this world and know that it is still here. My life has drifted away from focusing so much on my OCD (which is good) but I have also drifted away from actively fighting it on a daily basis (which is not so good).  In fact, I've found it's easy to forget how much I'm letting things slip when I am not checking in with a therapist as frequently and when my life is so full of other things.  I've been working up a storm, but in-between, when I'm at home and on the weekends, the problems persist.  I've just gotten really good at working around them.  I want to return to this world, though, and to keep fighting and sharing my stories along the way.  This place has been an invaluable outlet in the past - a forum to relate, share, learn, and feel "normal" ...