Skip to main content

Back into Blogging?

So life has been a bit all over the place as of late, and I haven't been writing as much.  I think it's partly because I feel pressure to write the "right" kind of post - you know the kind where I come to some new level of self-awareness in the process of writing or where I finally put into just the "right" words the thoughts I've wanted to share about OCD.  I haven't been feeling super "inspired" by my OCD or by the process of fighting it as of late, (perhaps because I am gradually getting better and spend less of my time cloistered in a room with my laptop writing posts :), or perhaps because I've been a bit down lately).  But in reading one of Pure O Canuck's posts this evening, Here we go Again - More OCD ERP experiences. , I was struck by how nice it was just to hear about how she was doing and what specific ERP homework assignments she is now courageously tackling.  So perhaps I will do the same, so I feel a bit less out of touch with the blogging world  and a bit more motivated to comply with my ERP treatment guidelines.

First of all, I don't actually have to many exposure "assignments" these days - more like life guidelines for the exposure opportunities that seem to constantly bombard me in everyday life - dishes, hand-washing, showering, doing laundry, etc.  I may not be doing something special and out of the ordinary right now to combat my OCD, but I've been doing better following the "guidelines" for regular life activities.  Here are some of the areas that I've been working on:

1.  Dishes.  Big deal, right?  Dishes.  Everybody does them.  Well not me.  At least I hadn't really been doing them since my big OCD relapse began.  However, since I moved into my new apartment about a month ago, I have really pushed to change this.  My new kitchen is SO MUCH CLEANER than the kitchen I had before, and this in turn makes the task of actually facing the process of washing dishes seem that much more approachable.  Don't get me wrong - coming out my cave of paper plates and plastic silverware was still a challenge, but at least my kitchen (and house for that matter) no longer looks like it belonged to some sort of strange cross between a frat house and a dive bar.  It's definitely easier to face because of that.

These are the guidelines I am supposed to be following:

  • Wet sponge and put small amount of soap on sponge (i.e. don't wash sponge separately before embarking on dish-washing extravaganza)
  • Rinse dish for no more than 5 seconds
  • Wipe inside and outside of dish for no more than 10 seconds
  • Rinse dish for no more than 5 seconds
  • No hand-washing before of after

So, I don't adhere to this perfectly (yet), and I still force myself to complete a lot rituals in the washing process (I count in my head to keep track of the number of seconds spent washing/rinsing), but it's getting easier and I try to use and do my dishes regularly.  I haven't gotten pretty good at not washing my hands before/after the dish doing process.  Not washing before isn't so hard - it's the not washing after that usually feels a bit icky.  But I've been doing my best to adhere to this one.

As for the amount of time spent washing/rinsing, I wasn't coming even close before, but this past week I have been trying to limit myself to an amount of time closer to those limits advised by my therapist.  I try to spend no more than 10 seconds washing the inside of a dish, 10 seconds on the outside, 5 seconds for other random parts, and 10 seconds rinsing.  (Side note:  If I ever doubt whether I *actually* have this disorder, I should seriously just read that last sentence I wrote.)  I still allow myself to cheat quite a bit even on my modified guidelines, but they're a bit easier for me to realistically adhere to (if my therapists guidelines seem just too ridiculous to me, I tend to go into things like dish-washing without any intention to really adhere to them at all which means that I then wait until it feels "right" to stop instead, and that method just never, ever turns out well...).  In writing all this, I think I begin to see just how weaselly I am when it comes to doing my "homework."  Goodness, maybe I really do have OCD ;).

All jokes aside, doing dishes really has been incredibly liberating.  It has opened up my food options - I can expand my diet beyond those entrees that can be simply prepared on a paper plate or in the microwave.  Doing dishes also means that can eat healthier.  Plus, having greater variety and fewer restrictions on my menu brings my mood up.  Let me tell you, eating Lean Pockets day after day gets old.  Going to the grocery store is intriguing as I can now purchase and prepare items that I have long avoided, items that I had, for almost 2 years, written-off as "un-preparable."  I still don't completely realize the things I can make - I'll walk by an aisle and think, "nope, not that one, nope" and then realize - wait, I can eat that now!  I do dishes!

I still have work to do in the dish-washing compulsions department, but I am finally washing them again and have begun doing some simple cooking, as well (I still don't like eggs, raw meat, etc...maybe someday!).  It definitely makes life easier and it's one less "oddity" that I worry about others noticing.

So, when I started this post I thought I would write about more than just my dish-doing exposure work, but clearly this has become a post in and of itself.  In an effort to not overwhelm myself with writing "perfectly" thorough posts (and to spare anyone who has bravely made it this far in reading my dish-washing odyssey), I guess I'll save the other exposure work I'm doing for another day.  AND it will give me a reason to actually DO what I am supposed to be trying to do ;).

Comments

  1. That's fantastic!!! So glad to have you back and hear about your successes. Since there was a bit of a gap in your posting - tell me - what happened to make you feel so much better? It seems like you have improved so much!!! And thanks for the mention. ERP is hard and it helps me to blog about it for support.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pure O Canuck - Thanks for the comment. :) I guess I'm settling in to my "new" life. I have a new roommate who is super considerate and really nice, and that definitely brings my mood up, too. I'm also getting used to my new job and might have another one soon. So just in general, things are kind of (maybe) becoming a bit steadier overall. And goodness, being able to cook really is nice!

    Looking forward to the conference and I hope to see you there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes! I'll send you an email a week or so before the conference so we can set a time to meet up at the conference!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I look forward to reading about your other exposures. Congrats on your progress!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Karin says:

    Congratulations! Can't wait to read your laundry one, as that is one i'm still having a problem with.

    I let dh do the dishes for a long time before i got brave enuf to touch them again and just wash hands afterwards ( from putting them in the dishwasher). I'm soo glad i didn't have germ stuff ocd while we didn't have a dishwasher! But i do remember sometimes washing things like raw meat cooking bowls etc. 2ce before thinking them clean. I didn't connect that to any ocd at the time, just my cleanliness desires.

    i washed dishes putting water in the sink and rincing with the tap on the other sink. So i just assumed my hands were clean from being in the dish water.

    Actually before i got completely scared off doing dishes i had a routine of doing dishes in the evening, putting a load of laundry in the washer and then having a shower to be clean.

    Ug, the rituals for daily living are hard to give up! On the other hand these rituals to do regular chores helped me to be able to have enuf energy to focus on the other ocd challenges . I am working on putting garbage in the garbage can without having to wash my hands afterwards. before i just left all the wrappers etc. in the kitchen for dh to clean up.:)

    -karin

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

New Variations on an Old Theme

It's been a long while since I have posted here. Years, in fact. This is typically where I turn when I am thinking a lot about my OCD and want an outlet for expressing my thoughts on my experience with the disorder. The current demands on my time make it a bit tricky to find much space for myself, much less to write about OCD, so even when I have found myself yearning to write, like now, I often turn to other tasks that seem more pressing. However, circumstances have brought OCD back into my life in a very real way, and I thought that posting some of my thoughts and experiences here, when I do make the time, might be helpful. I have a fascination with this disorder, both as someone who has suffered with it since childhood and as someone interested in it from an academic perspective. So, when increased stress and a lot of major life changes brought OCD back into my life in full force, I experienced that process with both horror and fascination. I have been amazed at how OCD can hi

Interesting OCD (and Related) News

So, I've been meaning to do this for a while, but never managed to actually put it together.  Just like I enjoy reading others' blogs and learning about their experiences with OCD, I am also somewhat addicted to learning as much as I can about the disorder in general - I love reading about some of the latest news and findings on OCD, and have also read several books on the disorder and related topics. In college, I studied neuroscience, and though in the short time since I graduated I have forgotten much of what I learned, I am still fascinated by the brain and its functioning - both on the biological level, as well as on the more behavioral side of things.  Add OCD to the mix, and I get abnormally excited when reading about some of the latest research and clinical studies on the disorder.  Of course, I like reading about OCD because it has a strong element of personal significance, but when I find that things I learned in school help me understand what we do know about the b

"Post"-OCD Life

The title of this post, I am well aware, is very much a misnomer.  OCD is still a living, breathing part of my daily existence, and always will be, to a certain degree.  However, I'm starting to feel as though I've entered a new stage in my recovery, one where I have to figure out that troubling and very confusing question:  what now? For a solid three years my goal was to tackle my OCD.  Year one started with my life falling apart shortly after I graduated from college.  School had always been my life and provided a certain amount of structure and sense of purpose.  As I started my first year of work post-college the following fall, everything seemed to fall apart as one compulsion lead to another until I was having a hard time making it through just a single day at work.  This was followed by the search for help.  I was lucky in that I relatively quickly stumbled upon the name for my disorder and found an excellent treatment provider, one who was ready to help me fight b