Skip to main content

Issues

I feel as though I'm having motivational issues right now.  I'm avoiding showering.  I'm avoiding doing dishes.  I dread doing both, and it feels like what's the point?  Why bother?  I'm preparing to sleep on the floor even though I know I shouldn't.  I know it's compulsive.  I recognize that.  I recognize that I am making an unwise decision from a therapeutic standpoint, and yet, ugh.  How to make myself do what needs to be done?  I'm still figuring that one out.  Still figuring it out...

Comments

  1. I am with you there. Ugh. I have a meeting in an hour, and it's a social event, and I'm feeling anxious, and my OCD is kicking up. I think the key is recognizing that this is OCD's mode of operation--to get you into a "figuring out" state of mind--and entangle us in getting a certainty about how to be motivated. Hang in there. The point is the flashes of freedom you've had--it's worth the bother, because you matter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Motivation is a hard thing to get/find. Hope you get it back!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I struggle with motivation a great deal when I am in a bout of OCD. I still haven't mastered it fully, but one step at a time, one little thing at a time I'll do and I feel like I've accomplished the world... For instance, when I feel that my house is crumpling down around me, I'll do my dishes, or vaccuum the rug. It's not 100% perfection that is required, it's only progress.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can relate with you there. Sometimes, I skip my shower and tooth-brushing. Gross, huh? Like you, I can't seem to see the point at times. But, more often than not, my head tells me that I need to get things straight. So, life goes on as usual.


    If you don't mind, I would like to ask a favor from you. Can you evaluate this counseling site? I need other people's opinions whether their services could deliver well for our mental needs. Thank you so much. Have a nice day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. OCD is undeniably one of the common psychological problem most people encounter. But, you don't have to worry that much. Because there are things that can make you deal with it. Just ask your doctor or counselor for details.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Spreading the Word: OCD on the Air

I'm an avid listener of NPR and always enjoy their various shows and podcasts, and I was recently delighted when I stumbled upon not one, but two, radio segments dedicated to OCD - both what it is and how it is treated.  I have heard so many stories like my own, but I am still drawn to new accounts of others who have suffered.  Likewise, I appreciate it when professional reporters and story-tellers so aptly paint the picture of what it's like to experience OCD for the general public.  Because, while I live in a world where others know what OCD is, where others believe that most thoughts are just thoughts and have no hidden meaning about who or what we are, so many out there, including some therapists, still respond to OCD-type thoughts as meaningful in their own right and as potentially dangerous or harmful.  That mindset can be so heart-breakingly bewildering and detrimental to someone suffering from OCD.  I know it was for me.  The more awareness ca...

Phone Jitters

Though I probably don't have enough of it to warrant a label, I think I do have some social anxiety.  It's gotten a lot better over the years - when I was a kid it was really so much worse.  Back then, I was often labeled "shy" or "quiet" and hated it because every time someone used one of those adjectives to describe me, it just seemed that much harder to overcome my difficulty of speaking up.  Those jolts of anxiety I got from voicing my opinion were intensified when I discovered that, despite my desire to be talkative and efforts to be outgoing, I was still perceived as being "quiet."   I had a hard time as it was being more vocal when not at ease, but when someone commented on how I was "shy," the self-consciousness would flare up even more, creating an even bigger hurdle to overcome when I wanted to express myself. Like I said, it's a lot better now.  I think through accidental exposure and repeated confrontation of social situ...

A Return

It's been A LONG time.  In fact, so long that I'm just relieved to see that so many of the wonderful bloggers that were out there before are still around.  I'm grateful to be able to come back to this world and know that it is still here. My life has drifted away from focusing so much on my OCD (which is good) but I have also drifted away from actively fighting it on a daily basis (which is not so good).  In fact, I've found it's easy to forget how much I'm letting things slip when I am not checking in with a therapist as frequently and when my life is so full of other things.  I've been working up a storm, but in-between, when I'm at home and on the weekends, the problems persist.  I've just gotten really good at working around them.  I want to return to this world, though, and to keep fighting and sharing my stories along the way.  This place has been an invaluable outlet in the past - a forum to relate, share, learn, and feel "normal" ...