Skip to main content

I Have a Home!!

I have a home!!  Okay, well, a NEW home.  It's not like I was homeless or anything before, but I was starting to wonder if I was going to end up that way...

My lease is up at the end of the month, and while I had the option to stay through June, I really didn't want to since all of my roommates will be moved out by then.  So over the last month or so I have been madly scouring the area I want to move to for an affordable place to live.  And it was difficult, to say the least.  I was looking for a studio/single just for myself, but living alone, especially in my city, is not cheap!  But it didn't seem like I had much of a choice.

Then a friend of mine suggested that I look online for someone who was trying to find a roommate.  My therapist suggested the same.  I hadn't even really considered it.  I mean, I thought, "I don't want to bother someone else with my rituals, and I don't know if I can handle the pressure of having to keep them under control."  It seemed like putting myself in that position would be highly stressful.  But when my therapist seemed concerned about me living alone, I started to think about how my current roommates act as constant exposure and keep me from getting even worse:  they touch things.  They get things dirty.  They don't follow my rules and it ultimately trickles down to me in some way or another, but because there's really not much I could do with it other than avoid to the point of complete non-functionality, I deal with it.  I am used to it.  It works, and I accept their contamination and just try not to think too hard about all the disturbing things they do.

So, I began to consider finding a roommate.  I was still looking for my own place but thought I'd reach out and contact some people who were looking for roommates just to see how it went.   And after spending several weeks searching for and viewing places for myself, I went to meet this first potential apartment-mate today, AND...I was sold.

I am both thrilled and terrified.  She seemed like a great person and a very considerate roommate, and the last thing I want to do is freak her out or inconvenience her with any strange behaviors.  Oh, and did I mention that she has a dog?  A DOG!?  I love animals, but ever since my latest OCD episode began, pets have been off-limits.  I have avoided sleeping in my bed, washed everything I was wearing, and showered after hanging out with people's pets in the past.  NOW, I'm voluntarily moving in with one.  Let's just say that it'll be a good exposure :).

Anyways, this whole business of uprooting my life and putting it down somewhere completely new is like one GIGANTIC exposure.  I will be extra motivated to appear "normal" for my new apartment-mate, meanwhile I won't be able to avoid certain things anymore (aka DOG).  It's pretty much the perfect environment for OCD exposure.  Right after making the decision I was slightly terrified and unsure of what I had done, but I think at this point, this is something I can handle.  It makes sense and is definitely a choice that works in favor of my mental health.  OCD may be shuddering right now, but I know that this is the decision that I wanted to make, a decision that will help me move forward on the path to getting better.  It'll be a bit scary, that's for sure, but it's time to keep moving forward!

Comments

  1. Glad you found a room-mate! And that you get to have a dog around (the you that is not bound by ocd). I hope the transition goes well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck! You're right - living with other people definitely provides lots more exposures than living alone. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad you've got one stressor off your plate. Other life issues definitely take focus away from dealing with OCD. It's so much easier to let those compulsions slip in. For me - where most of my compulsions are mental in nature - mindfulness is so important and when you've got other things on your mind that seems impossible! Life is always full of new exposures - aren't we lucky!? ;o)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

New Variations on an Old Theme

It's been a long while since I have posted here. Years, in fact. This is typically where I turn when I am thinking a lot about my OCD and want an outlet for expressing my thoughts on my experience with the disorder. The current demands on my time make it a bit tricky to find much space for myself, much less to write about OCD, so even when I have found myself yearning to write, like now, I often turn to other tasks that seem more pressing. However, circumstances have brought OCD back into my life in a very real way, and I thought that posting some of my thoughts and experiences here, when I do make the time, might be helpful. I have a fascination with this disorder, both as someone who has suffered with it since childhood and as someone interested in it from an academic perspective. So, when increased stress and a lot of major life changes brought OCD back into my life in full force, I experienced that process with both horror and fascination. I have been amazed at how OCD can hi

Interesting OCD (and Related) News

So, I've been meaning to do this for a while, but never managed to actually put it together.  Just like I enjoy reading others' blogs and learning about their experiences with OCD, I am also somewhat addicted to learning as much as I can about the disorder in general - I love reading about some of the latest news and findings on OCD, and have also read several books on the disorder and related topics. In college, I studied neuroscience, and though in the short time since I graduated I have forgotten much of what I learned, I am still fascinated by the brain and its functioning - both on the biological level, as well as on the more behavioral side of things.  Add OCD to the mix, and I get abnormally excited when reading about some of the latest research and clinical studies on the disorder.  Of course, I like reading about OCD because it has a strong element of personal significance, but when I find that things I learned in school help me understand what we do know about the b

"Post"-OCD Life

The title of this post, I am well aware, is very much a misnomer.  OCD is still a living, breathing part of my daily existence, and always will be, to a certain degree.  However, I'm starting to feel as though I've entered a new stage in my recovery, one where I have to figure out that troubling and very confusing question:  what now? For a solid three years my goal was to tackle my OCD.  Year one started with my life falling apart shortly after I graduated from college.  School had always been my life and provided a certain amount of structure and sense of purpose.  As I started my first year of work post-college the following fall, everything seemed to fall apart as one compulsion lead to another until I was having a hard time making it through just a single day at work.  This was followed by the search for help.  I was lucky in that I relatively quickly stumbled upon the name for my disorder and found an excellent treatment provider, one who was ready to help me fight b