Skip to main content

And the countdown begins...

And so, the countdown begins...to next year's conference that is!  I had an amazing time at the 2011 IOCDF Annual Conference - heard a lot of inspiring stories and  learned even more about this disorder that I have personally found so debilitating yet so fascinating at the same time.

I'm definitely in a post-trip funk right now.  I think the normal lows that can come when an anticipated vacation is finally over are exacerbated by the fact that, for a few days at least, I felt like I could be my complete, honest self.  No hiding my OCD.  No hiding my past.  No working around the truth of how and why I have gotten to where I currently am.  My life is about much more than just OCD, but for a couple days I didn't have to keep this part of my life a secret.  So it's a bit tough coming back into the "real" world, where you aren't surrounded by other OCD sufferers who know too well the toll this disorder can take and who aren't surprised or weirded out by it.

While OCD is pretty much always on my mind, it hasn't been quite as prominent a part of my life as it was, say, a year ago.  I'm working now.  I am much more functional.  I'm going out more and not letting every single choice I make be dictated by my disorder.  But when I had the chance to really be myself at the conference, it reminded me just how much of my OCD I keep hidden, even now.  So I'm a bit sad to be home - I already miss that open and honest and safe environment!

One goal that I definitely have for myself this year is to finally become more involved in the OCD community in some way or another.  It's something I honestly think would be very motivational and simultaneously therapeutic for me.  I like being in an environment like that of the OCD conference, so why not find a way to put myself in that sort of setting more frequently than just once a year?  We'll see.  There's just something about the OCD community that provides a sense of belonging that can't often be found elsewhere.  Anyways, there's still a lot up in the air for me right now - when, where, and how much I'll be working once the summer is over and the possibility of entering an intensive outpatient treatment program are two major things that still aren't sorted out, but I still want to try to pursue ways to become more involved.

I'm going to try to write more about the conference and some of the interesting presentations I went to another time, but not today :).  Just as it was last year, though, the conference was an amazing experience in so many different ways, and I hope to be able to go again in the future.

Last but not least, I wanted to give a quick shout out to Pure O Canuck!  It was great to finally meet you in person at the conference and I hope you had a safe trip home!  Thanks for taking the time to meet up. :)  You and your mom are in my thoughts.

The conference was great - just as good as or perhaps even better than the last one.  All I have to say is:  hurry up next year!  I'm waiting for another conference!

Comments

  1. It's interesting how this conference is so much more than a gathering of people who have, or have an interest in, OCD. It was enlightening to me to read how it affected you and how you found it such a comfortable place to be. Thanks for sharing and I hope to hear more about the conference from you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG - it was soooo great to meet you! I have so much to say as well, but I don't have the energy right now. :o( Thanks for the shout-out and I look forward to seeing you next year in Chicago!! :o)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Spreading the Word: OCD on the Air

I'm an avid listener of NPR and always enjoy their various shows and podcasts, and I was recently delighted when I stumbled upon not one, but two, radio segments dedicated to OCD - both what it is and how it is treated.  I have heard so many stories like my own, but I am still drawn to new accounts of others who have suffered.  Likewise, I appreciate it when professional reporters and story-tellers so aptly paint the picture of what it's like to experience OCD for the general public.  Because, while I live in a world where others know what OCD is, where others believe that most thoughts are just thoughts and have no hidden meaning about who or what we are, so many out there, including some therapists, still respond to OCD-type thoughts as meaningful in their own right and as potentially dangerous or harmful.  That mindset can be so heart-breakingly bewildering and detrimental to someone suffering from OCD.  I know it was for me.  The more awareness ca...

Phone Jitters

Though I probably don't have enough of it to warrant a label, I think I do have some social anxiety.  It's gotten a lot better over the years - when I was a kid it was really so much worse.  Back then, I was often labeled "shy" or "quiet" and hated it because every time someone used one of those adjectives to describe me, it just seemed that much harder to overcome my difficulty of speaking up.  Those jolts of anxiety I got from voicing my opinion were intensified when I discovered that, despite my desire to be talkative and efforts to be outgoing, I was still perceived as being "quiet."   I had a hard time as it was being more vocal when not at ease, but when someone commented on how I was "shy," the self-consciousness would flare up even more, creating an even bigger hurdle to overcome when I wanted to express myself. Like I said, it's a lot better now.  I think through accidental exposure and repeated confrontation of social situ...

A Return

It's been A LONG time.  In fact, so long that I'm just relieved to see that so many of the wonderful bloggers that were out there before are still around.  I'm grateful to be able to come back to this world and know that it is still here. My life has drifted away from focusing so much on my OCD (which is good) but I have also drifted away from actively fighting it on a daily basis (which is not so good).  In fact, I've found it's easy to forget how much I'm letting things slip when I am not checking in with a therapist as frequently and when my life is so full of other things.  I've been working up a storm, but in-between, when I'm at home and on the weekends, the problems persist.  I've just gotten really good at working around them.  I want to return to this world, though, and to keep fighting and sharing my stories along the way.  This place has been an invaluable outlet in the past - a forum to relate, share, learn, and feel "normal" ...