Skip to main content

Does it ever end?

So, does it ever end? I believe the answer is a resounding no.

Let me elaborate. This morning I woke up and dragged myself to the shower like a good hygienic human being only to discover: no hot water. This is fine. I really don't mind. I can wait for the hot water to work again...I didn't want to shower anyway, and now well, I have an excuse to procrastinate it. But I would like to shower at some point today!


The "real" problem stems from the fact that I did laundry last night (Or perhaps the real "real" problem stems from the fact that I have OCD and want too much certainty about certain things...). So the question that arises is: did we still have hot water when I was washing my clothes?

I have become the clothes-shrinking queen since my descent into obsessive contamination concerns. I wash everything on hot!! And sometimes, when doing laundry, I will begin to doubt if I really did use hot water, and will check repeatedly that the correct settings have been selected (this is all even though I know, growing up, my mom rarely washed clothes in anything but cold water unless something was really dirty!). So yeah, hot water has become an important part of my laundry doing rituals, and although I know I can live fine with out it (I mean, I managed to survive growing up at home without feeling constantly dirty...), it has taken on considerable significance over the last year and it's hard for me to accept such uncertainty about the temperature of the water my clothes have been washed in. Oh my...OCD is so nonsensical.

Anyways, I seem to be having a lot of OCD moments these last couple days. I mean, my life is often one big OCD moment, but usually it's just lurking in the background, a constant hum that is ever-present but not debilitating anymore. It's hard to know if there have just been more unusual circumstances popping up left and right recently, or, if my more frequent compulsive responses are leading me to feel like more situations require immediate OCD attention. It's probably a combination of both, and the more I try to figure out "what I would normally do in this situation at this point in my treatment," the more I end up being more compulsive to avoid being "careless" too fast, too soon...before I have to for the sake of exposure... It's a very slippery slope!! A slope that quickly leads to large piles of "dirty" laundry and longer and longer hand-washes...oh, and sinks overflowing with soap suds...


I'm trying to get back on track but sometimes it's hard when OCD says, "No, wait! This situation, this time, is different! No really! You don't have past experience to draw upon to define your course of action for handling this particular circumstance. You can't trust your old pre-contamination self either because back then you did all sorts of things that you would never do now. So do the thing that seems compulsive. You don't know that it's compulsive even do you? Maybe a normal person would do this! How can you take so many other precautions to avoid cross-contamination and then let this violation go? Do the thing that seems compulsive just in case you are wildly off in your guess about what you 'should' do in this situation."


That's pretty much the baseline argument that my OCD uses everyday, and it's one that really gets me good, too. "This time is different! You haven't faced anything like this before! You should wash! Be compulsive! Don't take this risk! Not now! Not with this!" Ah yes, my familiar OCD voice...thank you for the confusion you cause me, and the never ending internal debate that continues whether or not clear-cut anxiety is there. You always keep my mind busy with unnecessary internal arguments. And thus you keep me coming back, even after the anxiety has dissipated, because the voice is still there, tugging constantly, telling me what I "should" do. I give in, just to silence the incessant chatter once and for all...until next time...

Comments

  1. I hear you on the "No, wait! This situation, this time, is different! No really!" My OCD invokes this one regularly. It wants to pick and choose what I do with my life. Writing these thoughts down has helped--I started to see the pattern and it chipped away at the credibility of the "this is different" argument, because every blessed thing was "different" according to my OCD.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "I seem to be having a lot of OCD moments these last couple days. I mean, my life is often one big OCD moment, but usually it's just lurking in the background, a constant hum that is ever-present but not debilitating"

    I've been noticing this in my life more and more. I don't know if it has to do with just becoming more aware of OCD or if it's because mine has gotten so much worse over the years or what. I remember I used to think of it as this thing in the background that was super annoying, but I could deal. It's still that most of the time and then all of a sudden it starts yelling for a little bit every once in awhile. It's always there, just not always on the same volume.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Spreading the Word: OCD on the Air

I'm an avid listener of NPR and always enjoy their various shows and podcasts, and I was recently delighted when I stumbled upon not one, but two, radio segments dedicated to OCD - both what it is and how it is treated.  I have heard so many stories like my own, but I am still drawn to new accounts of others who have suffered.  Likewise, I appreciate it when professional reporters and story-tellers so aptly paint the picture of what it's like to experience OCD for the general public.  Because, while I live in a world where others know what OCD is, where others believe that most thoughts are just thoughts and have no hidden meaning about who or what we are, so many out there, including some therapists, still respond to OCD-type thoughts as meaningful in their own right and as potentially dangerous or harmful.  That mindset can be so heart-breakingly bewildering and detrimental to someone suffering from OCD.  I know it was for me.  The more awareness ca...

Phone Jitters

Though I probably don't have enough of it to warrant a label, I think I do have some social anxiety.  It's gotten a lot better over the years - when I was a kid it was really so much worse.  Back then, I was often labeled "shy" or "quiet" and hated it because every time someone used one of those adjectives to describe me, it just seemed that much harder to overcome my difficulty of speaking up.  Those jolts of anxiety I got from voicing my opinion were intensified when I discovered that, despite my desire to be talkative and efforts to be outgoing, I was still perceived as being "quiet."   I had a hard time as it was being more vocal when not at ease, but when someone commented on how I was "shy," the self-consciousness would flare up even more, creating an even bigger hurdle to overcome when I wanted to express myself. Like I said, it's a lot better now.  I think through accidental exposure and repeated confrontation of social situ...

A Return

It's been A LONG time.  In fact, so long that I'm just relieved to see that so many of the wonderful bloggers that were out there before are still around.  I'm grateful to be able to come back to this world and know that it is still here. My life has drifted away from focusing so much on my OCD (which is good) but I have also drifted away from actively fighting it on a daily basis (which is not so good).  In fact, I've found it's easy to forget how much I'm letting things slip when I am not checking in with a therapist as frequently and when my life is so full of other things.  I've been working up a storm, but in-between, when I'm at home and on the weekends, the problems persist.  I've just gotten really good at working around them.  I want to return to this world, though, and to keep fighting and sharing my stories along the way.  This place has been an invaluable outlet in the past - a forum to relate, share, learn, and feel "normal" ...