Skip to main content

IOCDF Conference and Beyond

I have to say that the annual conference presented by the International OCD Foundation was an amazing experience, and in ways that I didn't necessarily anticipate. It's definitely a bit surreal to go from seeing OCD as this secret and hidden part of life to having it be the focus of an entire conference. I love learning about OCD and this event was definitely the Mecca of OCD information. There were of course the the experts - the therapists, the doctors, the researchers - but there were also a whole community of OCD sufferers past and present who had their own wealth of knowledge to share. Being able to openly affirm my fascination with and interest in OCD simply by being present there, and to be with other people equally interested in the disorder and its treatment, was exhilarating for me in and of itself. I'm sure I'll write more about the experience later...but tonight...

I have renewed motivation to fight back and get better, and I hope that I keep this motivation, but sometimes I fear that life does and will continue to feel empty without rituals around which to schedule anything and everything else. I am so used to framing my productivity around OCD's demands that, and as such demands diminish when I do the homework I am supposed to do, I feel lost. I miss the security of my rituals and the fact that they always gave me something to think about and do. My mind was always going, trying to figure out how on earth I was going to accomplish the tasks of everyday life within the confines of OCD.

I essentially miss my OCD cage. It provided a framework around which I schedule my life. Don't get me wrong, much of that framework still exists, but as it gradually breaks down, as the OCD rules become more like fluid suggestions rather than hard and fast dictates, I become confused. How do I know I have done things right? How do I know if I am clean enough? How do determine if I have tried hard enough? How do I know any of these things if I am not pushing myself to the limit of OCD's demands? Exhaustion or frustration are the indicators of completion for me. Without those, how do I figure out whether something is complete? How do I know when to stop? How do I not feel like I am floating untethered through space? It's just hard to figure out how to do things when they suddenly seem to require so much less effort and time.

I miss the security of rules, the completeness, the defined ways in which things must be done. Again, I miss the OCD cage. The world outside and the wide open space seem overwhelming at times, and I want to crawl back in to feel the comfort of my previous boundaries, the bars that rein me in. I know it's a trap...it's a cage that gets smaller and smaller and smaller the more time I spend in it, until I can hardly move. But sometimes I just want to go back in and bask in the false protection it provides.

Comments

  1. I like your analogy of OCD as a shrinking cage. It's so true! It's very confining and only gets worse with time. It feels safe but it's not. If we don't escape or at least force it to grow bigger, it will suffocate us.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Spreading the Word: OCD on the Air

I'm an avid listener of NPR and always enjoy their various shows and podcasts, and I was recently delighted when I stumbled upon not one, but two, radio segments dedicated to OCD - both what it is and how it is treated.  I have heard so many stories like my own, but I am still drawn to new accounts of others who have suffered.  Likewise, I appreciate it when professional reporters and story-tellers so aptly paint the picture of what it's like to experience OCD for the general public.  Because, while I live in a world where others know what OCD is, where others believe that most thoughts are just thoughts and have no hidden meaning about who or what we are, so many out there, including some therapists, still respond to OCD-type thoughts as meaningful in their own right and as potentially dangerous or harmful.  That mindset can be so heart-breakingly bewildering and detrimental to someone suffering from OCD.  I know it was for me.  The more awareness ca...

Phone Jitters

Though I probably don't have enough of it to warrant a label, I think I do have some social anxiety.  It's gotten a lot better over the years - when I was a kid it was really so much worse.  Back then, I was often labeled "shy" or "quiet" and hated it because every time someone used one of those adjectives to describe me, it just seemed that much harder to overcome my difficulty of speaking up.  Those jolts of anxiety I got from voicing my opinion were intensified when I discovered that, despite my desire to be talkative and efforts to be outgoing, I was still perceived as being "quiet."   I had a hard time as it was being more vocal when not at ease, but when someone commented on how I was "shy," the self-consciousness would flare up even more, creating an even bigger hurdle to overcome when I wanted to express myself. Like I said, it's a lot better now.  I think through accidental exposure and repeated confrontation of social situ...

A Return

It's been A LONG time.  In fact, so long that I'm just relieved to see that so many of the wonderful bloggers that were out there before are still around.  I'm grateful to be able to come back to this world and know that it is still here. My life has drifted away from focusing so much on my OCD (which is good) but I have also drifted away from actively fighting it on a daily basis (which is not so good).  In fact, I've found it's easy to forget how much I'm letting things slip when I am not checking in with a therapist as frequently and when my life is so full of other things.  I've been working up a storm, but in-between, when I'm at home and on the weekends, the problems persist.  I've just gotten really good at working around them.  I want to return to this world, though, and to keep fighting and sharing my stories along the way.  This place has been an invaluable outlet in the past - a forum to relate, share, learn, and feel "normal" ...