Skip to main content

Procrastination...


Procrastination. It's what I'm doing right here, right now, at this very moment. I struggle getting myself moving forward when I know, before anything else, I need to shower.

I have always had a hard time forcing myself to shower, but now that showers have taken on OCD proportions it is even more difficult to get myself up and into that little tiled chamber of torture. It's not even that bad anymore. But I still hate it. I still dread it. And I'd honestly rather sit here and write about how I don't want to shower than just get up and do it.

I've learned through treatment one thing that works in this sort of situation, OCD or not - even if I can't seem to summon the motivation to commit myself to the whole event of showering, even if I can't seem to possibly fathom pulling off the act, I can commit to the initial steps. I can get ready to shower. I can turn the water on, set aside my towel, and the rest will inevitably follow. That way, even if the whole task still seems daunting, I get myself to do it anyway by taking the smallest steps forward, which leads, well, to more small steps forward. But soon enough, I have tricked myself into showering and there's no turning back. It's initiating the first small step that is the biggest challenge.

I dread showering. I am not sure if this is an OCD thing or not. I suspect a lot of people don't like showering, but perhaps the degree to which I am averse to it is a product of my OCD and my recent experiences with the disorder. My showering habits are certainly not within 'normal' range yet, I don't think, but they have gotten much closer and far less burdensome. Even so, I still dread them, and I feel like I have no excuse for this failure.

Comments

  1. It's not a failure! It's just something you still get to work on. :) The only way you fail is if you give up. Telling myself I've failed always leads me to depression.....I think that's a byproduct of my OCD. So I don't tell myself I've failed. lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're right. I was reading this entry again later and thought...wow, failure's kind of a strong word!

    Thanks for your encouragement! I'm definitely continuing to work on this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hear you on the failure thoughts--my mind frames everything as potential failure and general inadequacy as a human being--but I am learning to change this. I dread taking showers as well--it's hard to articulate why, just a sense of fearing it takes too much time(even though I take 10 minute showers), or I'm taking it at the wrong time. Yay for doing all the initial steps--when I avoid those, then I'm really in trouble.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I dread showering, too. I don't take super long showers, but they are very ritualistic. I have pre-shower rituals, shower rituals and post-shower rituals. I hate it. I love how I feel immediately preceding a shower, though. That's when I'm at my calmest (until I step out of the shower and back into contamination, that is).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Procrastination... yeah. I've been putting off my schoolwork because I want it to be PERFECT and it won't be. So thanks for your reminder of taking little steps - I opened the program to do my writing in (a very little step, but one none-the-less).

    ReplyDelete
  6. Abigail - I certainly know what it is like to seek perfection in schoolwork to the point where it becomes a detriment rather than an asset. Good for you for taking the first step, even if it is small! I wish I had known about OCD and how to address the problems it causes when I was in school. I definitely went through a lot of unnecessary stress trying to do things "perfectly." I hope that when I do go back to school one day that I will have a different experience with the tools to fight OCD at my side.

    Good luck with your studies!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

New Variations on an Old Theme

It's been a long while since I have posted here. Years, in fact. This is typically where I turn when I am thinking a lot about my OCD and want an outlet for expressing my thoughts on my experience with the disorder. The current demands on my time make it a bit tricky to find much space for myself, much less to write about OCD, so even when I have found myself yearning to write, like now, I often turn to other tasks that seem more pressing. However, circumstances have brought OCD back into my life in a very real way, and I thought that posting some of my thoughts and experiences here, when I do make the time, might be helpful. I have a fascination with this disorder, both as someone who has suffered with it since childhood and as someone interested in it from an academic perspective. So, when increased stress and a lot of major life changes brought OCD back into my life in full force, I experienced that process with both horror and fascination. I have been amazed at how OCD can hi

Interesting OCD (and Related) News

So, I've been meaning to do this for a while, but never managed to actually put it together.  Just like I enjoy reading others' blogs and learning about their experiences with OCD, I am also somewhat addicted to learning as much as I can about the disorder in general - I love reading about some of the latest news and findings on OCD, and have also read several books on the disorder and related topics. In college, I studied neuroscience, and though in the short time since I graduated I have forgotten much of what I learned, I am still fascinated by the brain and its functioning - both on the biological level, as well as on the more behavioral side of things.  Add OCD to the mix, and I get abnormally excited when reading about some of the latest research and clinical studies on the disorder.  Of course, I like reading about OCD because it has a strong element of personal significance, but when I find that things I learned in school help me understand what we do know about the b

"Post"-OCD Life

The title of this post, I am well aware, is very much a misnomer.  OCD is still a living, breathing part of my daily existence, and always will be, to a certain degree.  However, I'm starting to feel as though I've entered a new stage in my recovery, one where I have to figure out that troubling and very confusing question:  what now? For a solid three years my goal was to tackle my OCD.  Year one started with my life falling apart shortly after I graduated from college.  School had always been my life and provided a certain amount of structure and sense of purpose.  As I started my first year of work post-college the following fall, everything seemed to fall apart as one compulsion lead to another until I was having a hard time making it through just a single day at work.  This was followed by the search for help.  I was lucky in that I relatively quickly stumbled upon the name for my disorder and found an excellent treatment provider, one who was ready to help me fight b