Skip to main content

My New Source of Inspiration

I was hoping to gain insight, information, and inspiration from the International OCD Foundation's annual conference, and I think I certainly did just that.  However, the most inspiration probably came from a source that was altogether unexpected:  a newly found friend, an ally, a companion in the fight against OCD.

I will leave her unnamed for the sake of her anonymity as well as my own, but let's just say she seems like my OCD soulmate.  What a terrible and at the same time wonderful thing to share!  Terrible in that we both have suffered at the hands of this disorder, but wonderful in that we have each found someone who seems to intuitively understand the daily struggles of our common fears.  Never before have I felt that I could relate so completely to someone else with OCD.  I am sure that I would also have a strong connection with many of you whose blogs I read here, but this was the first time I had spoken, in person, with someone whose contamination fears seemed to manifest themselves in a way that was so similar to my own.  That bond, that chance to finally share freely, in immediate conversation, much that has happened in my life over the last year, was amazing.  So often I feel that with my "normal" friends I have to hide and ignore what has happened in my life over the last year.  It is hard for me to really be myself around them sometimes when I feel that I must constantly pretend that nothing has happened, that everything has been fine other than the normal struggles of daily life.  How am I supposed to pretend that nothing devastating has happened, that I am the exact same person I was before all this happened?  People want the "normal" me back, but the "normal" me now includes this story, this additional chapter that I can't just ignore. 

A lot has happened over the last year.  I got really bad, really fast, but with time and work I have improved to the point where I can often hide my symptoms even if they are still ever-present and on my mind.  I can pretend that nothing unusual happened.  That I didn't essentially lose my job.  That I didn't go on disability.  That I didn't go days on end without showering because I was so fearful of getting stuck.  That I didn't sometimes wash my hands for over an hour at a time.  That I didn't lose 15 pounds because it was so hard to feel clean enough to eat.  That, in general, my life didn't become this world where almost anything could become off-limits

That's a lot to hide.  It's a lot to ignore.  And sometimes it's hard to hang out with "normal" people who know nothing of this.  And of those who do know, I'd really rather not talk about all this because their reactions are those of individuals who care but who don't really understand the disorder and how it feels.  They are the ones who still look at me disapprovingly when I give in and wash when I am around them.  They are the ones who try to be understanding and supportive, but whose "tough love" and strange looks only serve to increase my anxiety.  They mean well, but what I really need is unconditional support.  Positive encouragement to fight back rather than stern comments and bothered looks when I do give in. 

Granted, I may not have given them a fair chance.  I haven't fully opened up to them to tell them more about my experience and the way their reactions serve to sometimes lessen, but more often heighten, my anxiety.  But it is difficult to share this experience when it seems like a certain level of judgment, either real or perhaps just perceived, comes with any explanation of the bizarre and admittedly outlandish trains of thought that lead to my compulsive behavior.

That's what is so nice having the chance to talk at length with someone whose experience has been very similar to my own - instead of a roll of the eyes or a look that says, "Really?  Are you really thinking about that right now?  Are you really bothered by this?" I get a nod of understanding, a "Yes, I know exactly what that's like, and it's terrible!  But you are brave, and you can fight back!"   It's a chance for me to finally tell my story.  It's a chance for me to share what has happened in my life.  And it's a chance for me to hear how someone else has been through and continues to struggle with similar things.  It's a sort of bond that I feel can only really be shared with another sufferer.  Someone who knows what it's like to recognize that their fears are irrational and yet, at the same time, still be terrified.  Someone who knows that awful feeling that can crash over you in an instant wave of dread as you realize something has happened and the only way to fix it seems to be hours of complicated rituals.  Someone who has been through just that and gets it.

I have found all that and more in this person I met at the conference, and I am so grateful for our chance meeting!  I hope that others with OCD have found similar confidantes, someone to support them unconditionally in their battle, whether that person be another sufferer, a support group, a friend, a family member, or someone out here in the world of online communication.  I am indeed very grateful for the all support I have also received here from readers and other bloggers and am always glad to provide support and encouragement to them, as well, when and if I can!  Having the opportunity to share parts of my story both with this person I met at the conference and here online has been a very therapeutic experience, and learning about others' struggles and victories is an inspiring motivator.  Thank you to my newfound confidante and thank you to all those who share your own stories and support here online!  You help me stay positive and move forward in the fight against OCD!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New Variations on an Old Theme

It's been a long while since I have posted here. Years, in fact. This is typically where I turn when I am thinking a lot about my OCD and want an outlet for expressing my thoughts on my experience with the disorder. The current demands on my time make it a bit tricky to find much space for myself, much less to write about OCD, so even when I have found myself yearning to write, like now, I often turn to other tasks that seem more pressing. However, circumstances have brought OCD back into my life in a very real way, and I thought that posting some of my thoughts and experiences here, when I do make the time, might be helpful. I have a fascination with this disorder, both as someone who has suffered with it since childhood and as someone interested in it from an academic perspective. So, when increased stress and a lot of major life changes brought OCD back into my life in full force, I experienced that process with both horror and fascination. I have been amazed at how OCD can hi

Interesting OCD (and Related) News

So, I've been meaning to do this for a while, but never managed to actually put it together.  Just like I enjoy reading others' blogs and learning about their experiences with OCD, I am also somewhat addicted to learning as much as I can about the disorder in general - I love reading about some of the latest news and findings on OCD, and have also read several books on the disorder and related topics. In college, I studied neuroscience, and though in the short time since I graduated I have forgotten much of what I learned, I am still fascinated by the brain and its functioning - both on the biological level, as well as on the more behavioral side of things.  Add OCD to the mix, and I get abnormally excited when reading about some of the latest research and clinical studies on the disorder.  Of course, I like reading about OCD because it has a strong element of personal significance, but when I find that things I learned in school help me understand what we do know about the b

"Post"-OCD Life

The title of this post, I am well aware, is very much a misnomer.  OCD is still a living, breathing part of my daily existence, and always will be, to a certain degree.  However, I'm starting to feel as though I've entered a new stage in my recovery, one where I have to figure out that troubling and very confusing question:  what now? For a solid three years my goal was to tackle my OCD.  Year one started with my life falling apart shortly after I graduated from college.  School had always been my life and provided a certain amount of structure and sense of purpose.  As I started my first year of work post-college the following fall, everything seemed to fall apart as one compulsion lead to another until I was having a hard time making it through just a single day at work.  This was followed by the search for help.  I was lucky in that I relatively quickly stumbled upon the name for my disorder and found an excellent treatment provider, one who was ready to help me fight b